Friday, May 22, 2009

Celebrating 1 Year of Wedded Bliss!!

We took off on Friday the 8th for a roadtrip for our 1st anniversary. We stopped for a picnic at battleship rock (which is NOT the rock behind us) on our way to Bandelier National Monument.
(sorry the pics are so flattering but it was pretty warm out there!)

Here's Bandelier....I especially was SO excited because I have wanted to see cliff dwellings ever since we moved here. There are a couple parks around here that have them. This was not the best one, but it was still really cool. Someday we will make it to Mesa Verde!


They say the area was so perfect because the Anasazi could easily scrape away the condensed volcano ash to make the caves for their desert homes, but right in the valley, there's a little river and it's as green as can be 100 feet from the red rock! So farming was easy. Amazing to see the 2 completely different geographies together.

Friday night we went to a nice dinner and stayed in "Nuke City." Saturday we took a scenic drive up around Taos and came back down through Santa Fe. We found this on the way. It's called "Ghost Ranch" and became Georgia O'Keefe's summer home and she painted many landscapes from here. The owner of Johnson & Johnson had a summer home here in the 1900's and it's now a library. There's a whole little resort down the road and you can camp and hike here. It's in the middle of nowhere, but kind of cool.

Here's a close up of the previous one....I don't know what kind of people live out here in the Boondocks



It was VERY windy up here and I was trying to keep warm while Micah set the timer...
we ended up with this fabulous picture of the 2 of us
Unplanned, the route took us right over the Rio Grande Gorge Bridge outside of Taos!
When we went skiing with Brandon & Erica this winter, we tried to find this bridge & couldn't. Micah was so ecstatic when we drove right over it & lamented that Brandon & Erica didn't get to see it with us :(
It's one of the highest in the nation!!



Right after we got home, we saw a trailer on TV for the new Terminator movie. We knew it was filmed in NM (there's a lot of the VLA) but we were excited to see our new favorite spot in some of the action scenes!!We wanted to ride the world's longest tram in Albuquerque that Saturday night, but we could only get tickets for the following weekend, which we will post pics of later....

8 comments:

Swoopref said...

You are having some fun hikes.

(Two on the same ladder rung? Plus, I don`t like the climbing angle either... going to have to cite you on this one.)

Jim and Lisa said...

Happy Anniversary!! Looks like you had a good 1st year celebration

balmforth.family said...

Happy 1st! Great pictures. I love header picture, that's great one of the two of you.

Jim and Lisa said...

P.S. I love the new picture at the top (your main page picture). You guys look so happy and good together!

Heather said...

Happy Wedding Anniversary! I can't believe it has been a year already. YOu too look so happy and so in love. I can't wait to see you. Let me know your plans while you are here.

CMHill said...

Great happenings. You guys are certainly adventurous. It was great to see you guys.

Marty and Jenny said...

Happy 1 year. You guys remind me of me and Marty when we were first married, always off on adventures. Love the pics, especially the main one on your page, so cute! I had a lot of posts to catch up on, now that I have access to our blog :o) the pronuciation of "Lillrose" post cracked me up! Milu tevi!

Lisa Michelle said...

Happy Anniversary Katy & Micah!! Sheesh, it has been forever since I've looked at your blog -- you have all KINDS of stuff up here!! Somehow the private blogs slip through my attention when I don't have google reader to tell me something's been updated! I am now going to have a fabulous time looking at all the fun pics you have on here! Looks like you guys had a great anniversary trip! Any more attempts on the rolls? hugs to you both!